BEFORE THE EXAM
To become an NASM-CPT, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age, with the exception of Career and Technical Education students.
- Must have current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification prior to sitting for the exam (not required to purchase the CPT).
- You must have a passion for health and fitness and helping others live healthier lives!
THE NASM-CPT EXAM
- Please print and review the NASM Certification Candidate Handbook for information regarding testing procedures. Review the NASM Certification Candidate Handbook.
- Register for your exam by calling PSI/LaserGrade at (800) 733-9267 (USA & Canada) or Schroeder Measurement Technologies (SMT)/IsoQuality Testing (International). You will be eligible to schedule your exam three (3) business days after signing up with NASM. Students will have 365 days from sign up date to take exam.
- Bring to testing center a valid, government issued Photo ID and current, valid Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification.
- Exam Enrollment ID (This is emailed within the 3 business days of exam enrollment). If you have questions about Exam Enrollment ID, please contact NASM at 800.460.6276 (option 5).
**The following organizations are accepted: American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American Safety and Health Institute, St. John Ambulance, Emergency Care & Safety Institute, Emergency Medical Technician.
NOTE: Currently, all CPR/AED require hands-on assessment. Online courses will not be accepted unless a hands-on component is included.
AFTER THE EXAM
- If you pass the exam, you will be able to print a temporary certificate from your Member Page after three to five business days. An official certificate will be mailed to you within four weeks of passing the exam.
- If you do not pass the exam, If you do not pass the exam, you can call NASM’s Member Services Department at (800) 460-6276 to purchase a retest. Candidates who do not pass the certification exam on the first attempt will be allowed to retake the exam after a 1-week waiting period. If the candidate is unsuccessful after the second attempt, he/she will be required to wait 30 days before retaking the exam. For each repeated failure after the 3rd attempt, candidates will be required to wait a year before attempting to take the exam again. Get study help for the next exam.
- If you need to reschedule your exam appointment, you must call PSI/LaserGrade at (800) 733-9267 with more than 24 hours notice or you will be charged a late cancellation fee. If you do not show for an exam appointment, you will be required to pay a no show fee.